Friday, February 23, 2007

All three NicoTom movies? Check.

The Movie: Days of Thunder, directed by Tony Scott
Recommendation: Dee
Reason: "See Tom Cruise in all his early 90's homoerotic glory!"

See what I did there? NicoTom? Yeah, I can follow horrible Hollywood naming trends too! My firstborn is totally going to be named Supergirl Orange. Ahem. Sorry, it's been a couple of days and I get a little hyper when they let me play with my shiny machine again. Today's first film was Days of Thunder, another car movie for my growing collection! For the first five minutes, I swore I'd already seen it (though I haven't, at least not in its entirety). Then I recalled the opening sequence of Cars, and was impressed by Pixar's well-realized homage.

Robert Duvall played his 'grizzled mentor' role very well in this one, but forever and always will I love his acting for the part of Hub in Secondhand Lions. I almost expected him to pull out a shotgun once or twice, but I was disappointed in that respect. Tom Cruise was entertaining to watch, if only for all of the easily misinterpreted innuendo the movie has in it. Obviously it's all unintentional, but the look he gives Carey Elwes right before the final race at Daytona set me giggling. Cruise did manage one noteable moment of real, genuine acting-when he's getting a CAT scan and he pleads with the doctors and Duvall to talk to him.

The music made me really want to find a synthesizer and beat it to death. The piercing wails really ruined any romantic chemistry I was watching for between the leads, when my eardrums weren't being blown out by the noise and fury of the racetrack. I did really like the way the vehicle scenes were shot, as I believed they really captured a lot of the racetrack experience.

-52/365 down, 313/365 to go

No comments: