Thursday, February 8, 2007

Oh god, that's not a pillow!

The Movie: My Stepmother is an Alien, directed by Richard Benjamin
Recommendation: Von Gauzen
Reason: "Tell me why people think this is a children's movie."

This is not a children's movie. Or, if it is, it's a children's movie that borrowed heavily from Porky's for a laugh. I think the misleading factor is Dan Akyryod, since so many of his movies seem to be perceived as for children. The people who think so are fools.

I suppose the moment I knew this movie was gonna be bad was when I noted that there were four writers, and one used a synonym. Now, we're not talking Star Wars III bad, just...average bad. Enough that when Kim Basinger busted out her 'I'm a hot alien chick that just landed here and learned everything from TV' routine, I burst out laughing with a cry of "Leeloo Dallas Multipass!". Memories of The Fifth Element sort of carried me through the movie, when I wasn't being mocked for my previous inability to identify Seth Green, or discussing how much I would have to be paid to lick Dan Akyroyd.

Eh. So it wasn't great. It's a movie most of us saw in our childhood, and it marks the beginning of a great working relationship between Seth Green and Alyson Hannigan. Yes, I'm a Joss Whedon fan (for you know, the two people who didn't already know). I liked it enough for that.

-36/365 down, 329/365 to go

No comments: