Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Iconic

The Movie: Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, directed by Howard Hawks
Recommendation: Me.
Reason: I have never seen a Marilyn Monroe movie.

I think your first Marilyn Monroe movie's some sort of landmark. I've seen parodies, I've seen homages, I've seen (for all intents and purposes) remakes, but next to the real thing, they pale in comparison. Nicole Kidman and Madonna (the first who spring to mind) can't quite compare to the screen presence of Monroe. Hype aside, I couldn't take my eyes off of her. Something about her dippy delivery, her wide blue eyes, that cute blonde hair was so magnetic it was hard to even acknowledge her costars.

I think hype definitely has influenced my watching decisions. At the moment, I'm clicking through my Ziplist to try to pick out a few more of Marilyn Monroe's classics. Nothing wrong with seeing those, of course. She was a talented actress and definitely not hard to look at. A real treat to watch and hear.

Diefied bombshells aside, the movie was sweet and funny. It was simple, it did what it had to do, there was singing, there was dancing, there were iconic moments that have sunk into pop culture. I laughed out loud at jokes that were corny as hell, and I had fun doing it. It's hard to say a bad thing about that.

-66/365 down, 299/365 to go

No comments: