Saturday, March 3, 2007

My love is conditional

The Movie: Zombi 2, directed by Lucio Fulci
Recommendation: Me
Reason: Shark vs. Zombie vs. mostly naked diver.

I like zombie movies, really I do. When I watch things like Zombi 2 and House of the Dead, it's really hard to remember that. I tried to like this one based on its charming bad acting and hideous special effects. I managed to make it through the entire eye-gouging and the whole aforementioned fight scene pretty well, but the rest of the film was a trial in stupidity. There's something to be said for heroes and heroines who don't just stand around waiting to be eaten. Shambling zombies should win through superior numbers, not through apparent idiocy.

So that's the deal. It was like House of the Dead, without the video game clips and with added gore. I'm starting to get desensitized to the sight of exposed intestines, which I'm not sure is entirely normal. Then again, it's not like I'm giggling as loops of guts fly at the camera. I think I'm still fine. Oh wait, no, I do laugh when that happens in Shaun of the Dead. I'm going to hell.

I think we need to see more revolutionary zombie flicks like Night of..., Shaun of...
and 28 Days Later. I supposed for completeness' sake I should also pick up copies of that atypical Z-movie classic Assault on Precinct 13, just for Carpenter's shot at the genre. And I don't know about any more mondo flicks. I think I only need one eye-gouging in my life, thanks.

-60/365 down, 305/365 to go

No comments: