Saturday, March 31, 2007

# Ironic. A French movie about running away.

The Movie: District 13, directed by Pierre Morel
Recommendation: Me.
Reason: A three minute clip from the opening of the film was posted to a message board I frequented some time ago. As you can see, I've included it in my post so everyone can experience the awesome.

I love action movies. Something about musclebound guys running amok and punching each other in the face is just so wholesome. From my early memories of Indiana Jones punching Nazis to John McLane duking it out with terrorists, how could the simple classic moments of action cinema not become my most beloved cliches. District 13 feeds them all, and adds in the gleeful free-running excitement of parkour.

The plot isn't anything to get excited about. I'm starting to see a trend in European movies-a certain fear of fascists. American films concentrate more on an outside threat, a foreign creature or group assaulting one that is 'local'. European movies seem more concerned about the threat that arises from within. I can't really comment on any other area of the world-not enough experience, though after finishing Curse of the Golden Flower I may have some more insight into Chinese cinema (or at least wuxia).

Anyway. It's a movie about two guys, a bomb and a kid sister in trouble. They run up walls and take on some inspired fight scenes to create a pretty good rumble in the barrios. This isn't a heavy movie. Not something difficult to digest at all, just a light bit of entertainment for action fans looking for something different.

-78/365 down, 287/365 to go

No comments: