Thursday, August 2, 2007

Big shark. Fangs.

The Movie: Megalodon, directed by Pat Corbitt
Recommendation: H
Reason: "This is the best low-budget, direct-to-video shark movie I've ever seen."

H and I share a certain terror about sharks. When we were kids, we both had a similar aversion to the deep end of the swimming pool. It's our pet theory that we saw Jaws and were permanently scarred. We've coped, in our own ways. I've conquered my fear of the deep end of the pool, but you won't catch me swimming in the ocean anytime soon. H watches bad shark movies. I think her decision is more entertaining.

The 'Megalodon' the title sequence refers to is a specimen of carcharadon megalodon, a long extinct ancestor of the modern shark. In the movie it...and trust me, it's hard to even type this...escapes from a heretofore undiscovered 'secret ocean', which has been sealed off from the 'overworld' since time immemorial. As you may have guessed, this is a B-Movie that's serious about shrugging off suspension of disbelief as something other people do.

That's about all the summary Megalodon needs. It's a B-movie with B-grade special effects and B-grade acting. It's campy, dumb and unintentionally funny. There is a hugenormous shark that eats a lot of people and things, and probably some hamfisted environmental message somewhere in there. Something about things man was not meant to see, I don't know. I have to agree with H, though. This is probably the best direct-to-video shark movie I've ever seen.

-152/365 down, 213/365 to go

No comments: