Saturday, August 4, 2007

I do not have a thing for Nicolas Cage

The Movie: The Wicker Man, directed by Neil Labute
Recommendation: The internet.
Reason: The Best Scenes from The Wicker Man

I swear, I could watch Leelee Sobieski get kicked in the face all day. I used to think she might be a decent actress in years to come, but damn was I ever wrong. I mean it, in a movie like this it's hard to pick out a particularily bad actor, but jeez. Leelee stole the show. Nick Cage at least got to stomp around punching people while wearing a bear suit. Sobieski just sucks.

You really don't _need_ to see The Wicker Man. Youtube has it right-the scenes in that now-famous clip are the best of the whole thing. Putting yourself through it is an exercise in torment. I watched it because of the video, and because I'd heard the original was unsettling and creepy. In this...mockery...we get Nicolas Cage assaulting children and kicking Leelee Sobieski in the face. No, I'm not going to stop mentioning that. She really is terrible.

I can only assume Molly Parker was involved in this travesty under duress. That's what I'm choosing to believe, since she's one of my favorite Canadian actresses. I just don't know what else I can possibly say. Watch the Youtube clip. It's all there. I seriously can't improve on the 'commentary' as presented in those two and a half minutes. If you're entertained by Nick Cage punching women while in costume, this is really the movie for you. Oh yeah. And Leelee Sobieski getting kicked in the face.

-157/365 down, 208/365 to go

No comments: