Sunday, August 19, 2007

Metaphor? We don't need no stinkin' metaphor.

The Movie: Scream 2, directed by Wes Craven
Recommendation: Me!
Reason: Best slasher series in recent memory, part 2.

I won't expound on the virtues of Scream 2 much more than I did on the first one. When I first saw it at my favorite theater (which has since been torn down), I was on the edge of my seat. The movie was excellently done, ratcheting up the tension and playing by its rules quite nicely. The main cast returned to take on their roles again, which is always a big help.

Once more, Scream questions the nature of the genre it was undertaking, this time discussing the rules that apply to sequels. There's a conversation starter regarding whether or not sequels are as good as their predecessors. Randy, the avatar of us as the audience and in particular horror fans everywhere, sets out the rules for a sequel. The entire movie plays textbook perfect as a sequel, and it achieved its goal.

There needs to come a new Scream franchise. It's really important to horror movies at this point. We need less of the increasingly stupider Saw and Hostel series, and more creative, boundary-pushing horror. God help me, I almost think we need more along the lines of Rob Zombie's movies, as long as he's started figuring out this whole 'writing a goddamn ending' thing.

-173/365 down, 192/365 to go

No comments: