Saturday, April 7, 2007

The courage of standing alone.

The Movie: Hotel Rwanda, directed by Terry George
Recommendation: Von Gauzen
Reason: "It's very sad. You'll cry."

I have had several moments of great misanthropy. Sometimes, I just can't stand the world we live in and the people we're forced to share it with. I was admittedly lax in my knowledge of world news when I was a teenager, and so it's only a decade after the fact that I've learned about the Tutsi massacre. The only person I recall from that time and that place is of course Roméo Dallaire. He was not portrayed in this film (though there was a Canadian UN official played by Nick Nolte.). The lead character is Paul Rusesabagina, played by Don Cheadle. Through the depicted horror of the massacre of the Tutsis, Cheadle's characterization and starkly played humanity kept this from being another movie that made me curse the existence of the human race. (Yes, how emo of me...)

I like Don Cheadle. The first movie I saw him in was Ocean's Eleven, where he played for laughs, but since then I've seen him in a few other movies. He's a good actor, maybe even a great one, who brings a certain amount of humanity to all of his characterizations. It's hard to find a Don Cheadle character that doesn't seem real. He left the rest of the cast in the dust on this film, though Sophie Okonedo did a very good job of her role. I wanted to kick Nick Nolte, just for the hell of it-for some reason I find him pretty annoying, no matter what he's in, and overacting in a scene with Cheadle just made him look worse.

If there was a message to this movie, it was that more than one person has to stand up. Rusesabagina and Dallaire did what they could for the people in their care, using intelligence, sharp wits and every bargaining tool they had. What could have happened if more than a handful of people had organized that resistance? How many lives would have been saved? We don't know, and we can't know. But it's something to think on.

-87/365 down, 278/365 to go

No comments: