Thursday, April 19, 2007

Last time I saw you, you were trying to kill Ash.

The Movie: Fracture, directed by Gregory Hoblit
Recommendation: Nobody. Free passes!
Reason: Hey look, free passes to a thriller!

I have a problem with movies. I see through twists like nobody's business. Even 'impossible' twists, I usually catch pretty fast. My dad does the same thing. It was pointed out to us both the day we watched The Usual Suspects, and while everyone else we were watching with was stunned, dad and I saw it coming. It seems mandatory now that all thrillers must have a twist ending. It's starting to become annoying, because they're getting more and more transparent. As you may have guessed, Fracture has a twist. I know. I was shocked too.

I wouldn't go to see Fracture because of the story. It was plot-light, the shooting was alright, the directing okay. There were a few awkward transitions, so the editing wasn't necessarily the greatest, but overall, it was decent. The real show came in the writing and the acting. Seperately, they were quite good, together, they were great. This isn't going to win anyone any awards, but I was impressed at how well written the movie was. The script felt very natural.

I don't much like or dislike Ryan Gosling. Generally, I feel pretty neutral towards him. He's taken some interesting roles, some of which have been good, others...not so much. Anthony Hopkins is reliable-he gives a good shot, no matter what. I think in this movie, they worked. Hopkins played a batty engineer to the T, right down to some great little mannerisms and speech patterns. Gosling managed to slip right into his role, and definitely held his own.

-99/365 down, 266/365 to go.

Edit: Title, of course, refers to Embeth Davidz, who appeared in this movie. Yay!

No comments: