Monday, June 11, 2007

I think I've seen this movie before.

The Movie: Rope, directed by Alfred Hitchcock.
Recommendation: No one, I'm just brushing up on some more of The Man.
Reason: The Man.

Holy crow, the long shots. I like to notice technique in film, and this is no exception. Rope was shot almost continuously, the film supposedly taking place in real time, and Hitchcock's construction of multiple carefully considered long shots carries off the illusion almost seamlessly. It's really well done.

The performances were quite good, Jimmy Stewart as usual the standout. His delivery's so distinctive I regret my previous lack of experience with his work. He manages to ramp up the tension really well in the last act, during his confrontation with the murderers. I was pretty thrilled.

The movie I refer to in the title is Murder By Numbers, though as it turns out, I'm dead wrong. Though the plot is similar (as are the murderers and the really homosexual undertone), it's not the same. Interesting connection, nevertheless.

-131/365 down, 234/365 to go

No comments: