Sunday, June 3, 2007

Moral of the story: Kids are really stupid.

The Movie: 28 Weeks Later, directed by Juan Carlos Fresnadillo
Recommendation: 28 Days Later. So, me.
Reason: I love the first movie. Had to see the second one.

The primary criticism I've heard of this movie is of the combat scenes, which are edited in fast, harsh cuts that make it difficult to understand properly what's going on. There are two important sequences that are put together this way, and I can't disagree with the critics more-I think this technique is essential to establishing the movie's atmosphere. The initial battles with the Infected in the previous movie were treated similarily-they're confusing, constructed of quick cuts, and it's on the aftermath we linger. The confusion and panic that the shots evoke contrasts heavily with the calm moments, lending them greater weight.

I'm still not certain how I feel about 28 Weeks Later. It was a good movie, well constructed, but the characters seemed a little light. Kudos to the military in the movie for taking the exact precautions that were necessary (except for the idiots who were examining Infected without eye protection). I thought the overarching strategy that was employed was effective and well executed. The protagonists (and we'll use that term really loosely) were believable, at the very least.

I feel that the plot weakened around the children who had to play the lead. Held up against Hannah, they just don't work. Hannah wasn't quite as dumb as these two. I mean, every zombie movie revolves around someone either going crazy or doing something stupid. These two kids, though, might just win the Nicole Award For Excellence In Zombie Movie Idiocy-at least Nicole went after a useful, living animal.

-126/365 down, 239/365 to go

No comments: