Saturday, June 16, 2007

Yo-HAR!

The Movie: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, directed by Gore Verbinski
Recommendation: Me!
Reason: I had to finish the trilogy.

I was dragged to Pirates of the Caribbean. I really was. I did _not_ want to see it at all. For crying out loud, it was based on a Disney ride, and the Haunted Mansion movie looked bad enough. Imagine my surprise when the original movie turned out to be a slightly longish swords and seas flick with a spectacular performance by Johnny Depp as the possibly-villainous, possibly-heroic Jack Sparrow. It was thrilling. I giggled with glee. Then they started putting out sequels, and that wasn't...so bad. I liked Dead Man's Chest, which wasn't the general consensus, and I did like At World's End.

At the end of the movie, I was so tired I didn't stick around for the after-credits bit. Apparently it was important, but unless it was Elizabeth standing behind the wheel of a pirate ship in full regalia, I can wait for DVD. If I did miss that, I apologize and I will rectify it as soon as possible. That's the part of the ending that probably annoyed me the most-Elizabeth is left on a stupid beach, pining away for Will...and everything we've seen so far makes that conclusion of her character a little difficult to accept. I think I'll settle for being happy to have seen so much of Naomie Harris and Geoffrey Rush-his scenery chewing manic-pirate antics would've punched up Dead Man's Chest quite a bit.

This third installment was adequate, I'd say. It wrapped up the stories it started, everyone went on their merry way and it was nearly a happy ending. Sorry if I've gone and spoiled things for people, but I've left out the more...bizarre stuff. Go and see it, assuming you haven't already and you liked the first two movies. At the very least, there's a damn cool ship-battle.

-134/365 down, 231/365 to go

No comments: