Sunday, July 15, 2007

A child is missing, and Julianne Moore isn't playing the lead.

The Movie: Flightplan, directed by Robert Schwentke
Recommendation: DKS
Reason: We share a mutual like of Jodie Foster and the movies she chooses to star in. Admittedly, this does extend to Panic Room and Flightplan, which both have their good points along with the bad.

Bite me.

That's for everyone who dislikes movies I've enjoyed and wants to make sure I know it, as loud and annoyingly as possible. I'm not interested in discussing it with you unless you have some new insight. NEW. INSIGHT. I don't feel that I'm asking too much here, really. I don't force anyone to read my reviews, don't force me to listen to endless droning about how repetitive and awful my bad-movie darlings are. Now that I've got your attention...Flightplan wasn't a great movie. Peter Sarsgaard is too slimy not to be evil (oh, sorry guys, spoiler warning!). Sean Bean surprisingly did not die. Attaboy Sean, keep up the good work. The editing was...questionable. The acting, even Jodie Foster's bit, wasn't top notch.

This movie really just vanished into thin air (hahahahahaha) after it hit the screens around the same time as Red Eye. I haven't seen that movie, but it could just be a little better than Flightplan. This movie didn't have much of anything going for it aside from Jodie Foster and though she's really great, she does need a bit of help if she's going to be the one and only highlight of the show. She didn't get that help here, which is a major suffering point of the film.

This movie wasn't really bad, it was just pedestrian and forgettable. Foster's frantic attempts at maintaining drama and pushing the plot along aside, Flightplan just plodded along by the numbers, not really forking away from the formula and certainly not breaking new ground. It's not her best, but it's something to tide us over until she wows us again.

-146/365 down, 219/365 to go

No comments: