Monday, July 2, 2007

Walked away, ladies and gentlemen, walked away!

With this movie, I'm altering my format. Due to a relative inability to track down as many 'new-to-me' movies as I'd hoped, I'm allowing myself to watch movies I have previously seen.

The Movie: Hedwig and the Angry Inch, directed by John Cameron Mitchell
Recommendation: Me!
Reason: This movie's a real classic of the musical genre.

I actually rewatched Hedwig last week. This movie contains perhaps the best song from any musical ever (feel free to challenge me on this), The Origin of Love. As a song it stands up so well that the context of the movie is unnecessary. But what a context to put it into. Hedwig is the story of a transgendered person having an identity crisis, whose transition from male to female didn't go entirely as planned. With an 'angry inch' and a boatload of fabulous, Hedwig hit the road, telling the story of her life through song and pseudo-documentary.

Do not see this movie if transgendered people or cross-dressers creep you out. You'd be doing Hedwig a great disservice, because this movie is touching, sweet and very, very funny. The music also completely rocks. It's all new-wave, with a touch of country and an excellent punk interlude dedicated to that angry inch. The film is saturated with color, through Hedwig's flamboyant costumes, wigs and makeup.

I'd be remiss not to mention the absolutely great performances that follow John Cameron Mitchell's overwrought dramatics. Miriam Shore as Yitzak and Michael Pitt as Tommy Gnosis are both excellent in their roles (Miriam Shore had a bit of an advantage, having played the part when Hedwig was a stage show). As foils for Hedwig, both characters were strongly played and well developed.

138/365 down, 227/365 to go

No comments: