Saturday, July 14, 2007

She's never seen the sea.

The Movie: Van Helsing, directed by Stephen Sommers
Recommendation: Me
Reason: It was on TV!

Alright, I'll admit it. I like this movie. I know, I know, turn in your critic-badge right now. Truthfully, I can't defend my love of this movie aside from this: I love campy movies. I have a soft spot for them. Van Helsing is amazingly campy, the sort of funny one gets from turning on a camera, telling everyone to speak in really fake accents and giving Richard Roxburgh free reign to act as madcap as possible.

Stephen Sommers is probably one of the directors who entertains me the most. When I first saw this movie in theaters, I actually left laughing so hard that I was in tears. The words 'the sea' would send me into fits. Kate Beckinsdale delivered every line with such awful conviction that it blew me away. If Roxburgh hadn't been overacting, prancing and dancing his way along, chewing the scenery, she surely would have earned herself a place among the worst actors in hollywood.

This movie is bubbly, dumb fun. Don't look for a deeper meaning, don't even really look for a subtext. It's just an entertaining game.

-145/365 down, 220/365 to go

No comments: