Thursday, July 19, 2007

Dude. Sweet. Shibby. Learn it, love it.

The Movie: Dude, Where's My Car?, directed by Danny Leiner
Recommendation: Me!
Reason: It's been awhile.

There are subgenres of comedy, and not everyone appreciates every subgenre. Black comedies are not written for people who only like screwball comedies, and slapstick routines are not usually intended for highbrow viewers. Dude, Where's My Car? is a strange sort of fantasy-comedy, but it's mainly screwball. The ridiculousness of the movie is continually amped up to go for bigger and bigger laughs.

Something about Dude, Where's My Car? keeps it funny, even though parts of it have aged a little. For instance, I don't think anyone's as fazed by cell phones now as they were then. I think I'd feel confident saying that the chemistry between Seann William Scott and Ashton Kutcher (when he was still entertaining) is the main source of the funny. They worked really well together here.

I like this movie. Not everything needs to be a high art, high tension masterpiece. Sometimes a dumbass comedy is a great source of stress relief. Dude, Where's My Car? isn't the best funny movie out there, but it's one of my favorites.

-148/365 down, 217/365 to go

No comments: