Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Arm yourself.

The Movie: Battle Royale, directed by Kinji Fukasaku
Recommendation: Me!
Reason: I'd heard about the movie, read the book, and then got really hyped to see the movie.

I think all I need to hear is the word 'dystopia', and I'm sold on a plot. I might just be that kind of gullible, but I like to think it pays off. Battle Royale is set in a futuristic dystopian world where a broken-headed government has decreed that every year a Grade 9 class will be taken to a remote island and forced to murder one another. Last man standing gets to live. Though the book goes into more detail than the movie, the film stands up well.

I was really impressed-as soon as I turned on the preview, fresh out of reading the book, it was easy to identify most of the characters. Good casting is usually a sign of some really good potential in a movie. Once the film actually got underway, all signs pointed towards awesome. There were some differences, and I couldn't really see the reason for some of the changes that were made (in particular the 'if no one has died in 24 hours...' clause). Unusual for a movie based on a book, but the bits that were excised were appropriate and well chosen.

There were a few rough patches where the film turned unever, and there was some commentary that wasn't very clear. However, overall, Battle Royale stands up quite nicely to its literary counterpart. If I hadn't been warned away from the sequel, I'd definitely be looking to pick it up.

-108/365 down, 257/365 to go

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey!

I have some more recommendations:

Idle Hands - I treid to get a copy of this for you, however I think that every video rental facility has tried to hide the evidence this movie was ever made. And they should. I think there is a message in it somewhere...

I have the rest of these at my house:

Pretty in Pink - It is from the 80's, has Molly Ringwald in it and the male lead is named Blaine.

The Four Feathers - It is an epic about honour and redemption. And it has Heath Ledger and Kate Hudson in it.

Patch Adams - This movie made me want to be a doctor. What it didn't do was make me want to go to school for 12 years to become a doctor.

The Wizard of Oz - Childhood Classic! It is the 50th Anniversary Edition, and it is on VHS. Plus, Judy Garland got an Oscar for it, and that means it must be great (I've been reading your bias:).

Down to You - I got it out of a Kraft Dinner box and it is something you can rip apart.

Finally, Shane - It is a Western that is apparently a "classic of the American cinema". I have not watched it myself in years but I noticed in my reading you have not seen very many westerns. And I think a certain relative really enjoyed it.

I am enjoying reading your reviews! The titles are quite funny and I appreciate that you look at more than the acting.

I'm at home for the next 2 weeks, so call me and I can drop the movies off anytime.

Blayne