Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Fade to black. Nickelback.

The Movie: Torque, directed by Joseph Kahn.
Recommendation: Dee
Reason: "You've been watching a lot of racing movies lately."

I don't want to watch any more racing movies for a little while. Torque and 2 Fast 2 Furious are robbing me of my intellect. If I see Tokyo Drift, I might decide that Larry the Cable Guy is funny or something. Torque had a few moments from which entertainment could be gleaned-a race across the top of a moving train, for instance-and some really creative work with cameras and reflections. It's just that there was also dialogue and a plot that was speculative at best.

Movies like Torque are simple, and are designed to stay that way. There's a hero, the heroes entourage and the villain and the villain's entourage. There were slim pickings for a likeable character in this movie. I eventually settled on Jaime Pressley's badly-acted-but-at-least-marginally-attractive crazy girlfriend of the villain. She had some interesting tattoos.

Ultimately, I thought Torque was pretty forgettable. Good action sequences, novel use of the reflective surface of a knife, but no substance and very little in the way of redeeming features. I mean, it ended on a Nickelback song.

-112/365 down, 253/265 to go

No comments: