Friday, May 4, 2007

Suburbs, hell, yada yada. We've been here before.

The Movie: Disturbia, directed by D.J. Caruso
Recommendation: Me!
Reason: I recognized the movie as a more current take on Rear Window. Haven't seen that yet, but I wanted to see how it'd go as an update.

Remakes are a touchy subject across the board in the arts. Generally, they utterly fail to recapture the magic (however minimal) of the original. Sometimes, they distance themselves completely from the original film, becoming so different that the connection to the first is tenuous at best. I have a suspicion that Disturbia falls under the latter category, and so I can't wait to see Rear Window. Despite the title, the themes of Disturbia don't necessarily require that the story be undertaken in the suburbs. Paranoia, helplessness, investigation...all of that could take place at any two windows within eyesight of each other.

It's fairly easy on film to create a mood of tension and claustrophobia. Close-in shots from head-level angles can give an uncomfortably voyeuristic feel. Disturbia uses these techniques consistently and well, with very well-done sequence in a parking lot that really did make me uncomfortable. There are a few jump shocks, a few of what I like to call 'chameleon moments', and overall I felt the movie had a good flow to it.

Shia LeBoeuf is certainly capable as an actor, and here he proves it again with a good, solid performance in the lead. He carries the role quite well, and plays off of his costars to good effect. David Morse, veteran of 'creepy guy' roles, was equally solid. I really liked the relative newcomer Sarah Roemer, though. I think she might have some potential to really go places.

-106/365 down, 259/365 to go

No comments: