Monday, January 1, 2007

As the red curtain rises, a hush falls.

Hi. You may or may not know me personally, but I'm engaging in a little odyssey. I love movies, and as my New Years resolution, I've decided that I want to know a little more about them. I am going to watch 365 movies in 365 days, and I am going to write a short, three paragraph review for each one. The rules I've set for myself are as follows:

1.) I can't have seen the movie in the last ten years.

2.) When I ask for recommendations, I must watch the recommended movie.

3.) I have to watch the entire movie in order for it to count towards the total.

Simple and easy.

As I begin this experiment, I am a dedicated fan of movies in general with a particular focus on horror. The last movie I saw in its entirety was L.A. Confidential. My current favorite movies are Fargo, Rules of Attraction, American Psycho, L.A. Confidential, Sin City, The Queen, Josie and the Pussycats, Unspeakable Cruelty, Silence of the Lambs and Clerks II. The movies I'm most looking forward to in the coming year are Children of Men, 300 and Pan's Labyrinth. I loathe Tom Hanks with a burning passion, due to being made to watch Big too many times as a child.

As you can see, I have a particular taste. I don't really trust myself to choose a wide enough range of 'out of my ordinary' movies, so I'm doing something a little different. I've asked friends and family to start developing 7-movie lists. They're going to give me a short justification for each of their selections, and then I'm going to watch the movies they've suggested. Some of them have sworn to be cruel (I've heard rumblings about Catwoman), some of them are going to be kind (Gods and Monsters has definitely been mentioned, as has the original 80's version of Transformers, The Quick and the Dead, and several others). I have a feeling I'm going to learn a lot about my panel of advisers as I view their choices. I'm very excited about all of this, and I'm looking forward to my first film, whatever it might be. Lots to pick from.

At any rate, it's time to start. Have a happy new year, and I thank you for reading.

-0/365 down, 365/365 to go.

No comments: