Sunday, January 14, 2007

Why do the British set fire to the livestock every time there's an apocalypse?

The Movie: Children of Men, directed by Alfonso Cuarón
Reccomendation: Me
Reason: I'm wild about Clive Owen. That's essentially the reason I saw this movie.

There was no way this movie could have lived up to all the hype. That's what I'd have said a few hours ago, anyway. No way in hell. Sure, Clive Owen's in it. Michael Caine. Julianne Moore. Chiwetel Ejiofor. Sure it's a dystopian future England (I heart dystopian future England). Sure, it's directed by Alfonso Cuarón. But there wasn't a chance it could live up to everything I've heard.

It exceeded my expectations enormously. The camerawork was intimate, the world Alfonso Cuarón sought to create was wholly realized. Clive Owen and Claire-Hope Ashitey were utterly human in a way few movie characters manage to be. The plot was intricate but understandable, and even the slightest throwaway shots were laden with emotion and meaning. The desperation and hope of every character was palpable, even those with only one or two lines. From the explosive beginning to the heart-thumping end, it was a real epic.

There's not much I can say here aside from this: See this movie. I don't really care if you like it as much as I did. I just want more people to see it. It's beautiful and horrible and terrifying. It's wonderful. Make up a reason. Just go watch it. Please. Just to be glib for a moment, Chiwetel Ejiofor needs to play a character that isn't misguidedly evil. Just once. I'd like to like his characters because he's truly an underrated actor.

-9/365 down, 356/365 to go

3 comments:

RaisaPiper said...

Oi, we need to see this together. Does this meet my Clive criteria?

Gwen Dallas said...

He's in the whole movie, he doesn't take his shirt off (that I recall). But he's definitely in the movie. :)

RaisaPiper said...

Woot! I am in. Sober too. This isn't a Sisterhood in the Traveling Pants type movie?