Monday, January 8, 2007

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the rain

Movie: Blood Creature, aka Terror is a Man, aka Creature from Blood Island, aka Island of Terror, aka The Gory Creatures, directed by Gerardo de Leon
Reccomendation: Dee
Reason: "Hahahahahahahaha!" -direct quote.

Sometimes I'm glad I've seen certain bad movies. I'm gleeful that I've seen Forrest Gump recently-it won't be part of this experiment, as I finally saw the entire movie last year. I'm even happier tonight to report that in 1997 I was a rather huge fan of Val Kilmer and Fairuza Balk. In my youthful innocence, I subjected myself to The Island of Dr. Moreau. Blood Creature is The Island of Dr. Moreau's hideous Girl Friday. From the horrible editing to the hideous pacing, Blood Creature was hilariously awful.

Special mention needs to be given to the individual responsible for the foley on this picture. I have never before (and never again hope to) heard the ocean represented by what sounded like a soup bowl of water, and the evocative use of potato chips instead of leaves managed to block out almost every other sound in several scenes. Even the rain proved deafening-in some movies this can be beneficial. In Blood Creature, it definitely wasn't.

The message of the movie is the same as that of Dr. Moreau-do not mess in the affairs of human-animal hybrids, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup. At least that's what I think it was-the editing was so choppy and rough that it was hard to understand what was happening from scene to scene. Not that it really mattered, of course. It was funny either way. Though we were going to make an attempt at the second movie on the disc, after Blood Creature, we've decided not to risk our sanity further. Werewolf in the Girls Dormitory, you'll have to wait for another day.

-4/365 down, 361/365 to go

No comments: