Friday, January 26, 2007

Don't be like Joe.

The Movie: Say Anything, directed by Cameron Crowe
Recommendation: H (But only because no one else believed that I hadn't seen it.)
Reason: "Because I want to marry John Cusack." Please note that's a direct quote from her.

I sat down to write the review for Say Anything when "Mr. Wonderful", from Dance Dance Revolution cued up. And isn't that appropriate? Because Lloyd Dobler is Mr. Wonderful, so to speak. Cusack managed to craft a sweet, kind character that also managed to be a little bit human. As usual, he was quite enjoyable (though H can have him).

And as God's Gonna Cut You Down kicks in, I'd like to address Cameron Crowe. Not because the song reminds me of him, just because we're no longer listening to Mr. Wonderful. As a director, Crowe has made seven movies. I have seen two. If I had to choose between Jerry MacGuire or Say Anything, I would have to go with the sweet reality of his John-and-Joan-Cusack movie. That's what I felt, watching this. Reality. The dialogue, the setting, the acting and essentially everything else made the experience very real. I was actually surprised by the famous 'boombox' sequence, by its placement and relevance to the film.

This was a nice film. There were some neat little tricks, including a little Grecian chorus that opined on what was onscreen and some interesting tricks of composition. I liked it. It isn't one of my favorites forever and ever, but it was nice.

-22/365 down, 343/365 to go

No comments: