Thursday, January 25, 2007

If there is no world, there is no gold

The Movie: An Inconvenient Truth, directed by Davis Guggenheim
Recommendation: Broomie
Reason: "I really want to see this movie." Okay, so sometimes the reasons for the recs aren't really compelling. :)

I think some of the criticism this movie receives is a little unjust. Though most of the point and thrust of the film is Al Gore's concern with global warming, the film is actually also about how he came to be so concerned with this very real issue. The two parts are not equal, but understanding that the latter is an intentional addition to the movie is crucial to recognizing that the film is not, as one internet movie fan put it, 'partially about global warming, partially a commercial about Al Gore'. Only if you're not actually watching could you come to this conclusion.

To address the major section of the movie, the part relating to global warming, Gore's lecture held me rapt. It felt a little like a good lecture at university. Full of information, just entertaining enough to be memorable, and full of pictures that properly illustrate the points he was making. I might, just maybe, be a visual learner. His information wasn't too surprising to me. I've kept fairly informed on the status of global warming in recent years. Some things came as a surprise-the fate of the permafrost on the tundra in particular freaked me out a little. I suppose my concern for what is essentially frozen sod might be a little surprising to those who generally reserve their panic for cute fuzzy things, but I have a special fondness for crocus and ptarmigan.

I think, oddly, what really drew the film together were the segments in which Gore explained the journey that lead him to this point. There wasn't a lot of over-focus on the events one might expect (Florida, anyone?), a simple statement of fact and then he moved on. I think those parts were well cut and placed appropriately within the context of the film. I found them interesting.

Oh, and everyone? Cut your carbon emissions before we all die in a fiery hellhole.

-20/365 down, 345/365 to go

No comments: