Tuesday, January 23, 2007

A brief divergence

To forestall a few questions about this years Oscars, this is a quick rundown of my thoughts:

-Screw Clint Eastwood. Greengrass in '07!
-Go Team The Queen. Helen Mirren all the way.
-Clive Owen was robbed. Utterly robbed. And Hugh Jackman was double-robbed, which I suppose includes a beating and being left by the side of the road. Looking forward to 2008, guys. Keep up the good work and maybe someone will notice. (Not that I'm bitter)
-Jennifer Hudson was one of my favorite American Idol competitors ever. You go girl.
-I hope Pan's Labyrinth completely annihilates all competition (and I haven't even seen it), unless it's up against Children of Men.
-Borat can die in a fire. Adapted script? Go Team Children of Men!
-Screw all y'all that had a part in picking best score. Not even a nomination to The Fountain? Were you drunk?
-Three songs from Dreamgirls. Three. Songs. From. Dreamgirls. That's three chances for Beyonce to get up on stage at an awards ceremony that has nothing to do with her. What were they thinking? I'm cheering for Melissa Etheridge on principle (because Randy Newman needs to take a break or something, Jesus, man...)
-And in the category of "We have to give Disney something this year...nominate them for special effects!"...well, yeah. Pirates 2. But given the competition, full speed ahead, Davy Jones.
-Monster House needs to win an award. I don't care who I have to set on fire (though I wouldn't mind roasting Clint Eastwood). Monster House for Animated Feature, if only for being so beautifully 80's.
-Deliver Us from Evil or Jesus Camp? Jesus Camp or Deliver us from Evil? Either way will make me happy.
-Who am I kidding? I heart United 93, but we need to give Scorsese his friggin' Oscar already.

So yeah. I don't think I need to elaborate, but...if you want to ask about anything, just ask. And no, I won't be watching the show this year. YouTube will provide me with the highlights.

No comments: