Saturday, January 20, 2007

Morris Day, P.I.M.P.

The Movie: Purple Rain, directed by Albert Magnoli
Recommendation: H
Reason: "Mostly for the Prince, but it's also a classic with amazing music"

H has a thing for Prince. She really likes him. A lot. I like Prince's music. I like rock and roll movies (I mean, generally speaking I do). I like classic movies and, surprisingly, I liked Purple Rain. Seriously, I did. It's certainly not a film on par with the creme de la creme, but it's a well-shot rock and roll movie. It was fun to watch Prince flounce around, and let myself enjoy the excellent camerawork on what looked like some pretty decent live performances.

Prince does his best acting on stage. He's a flippy, flouncy, scenery crunching ham when he's not performing, but when he's dancing and singing, it's easy to catch a sense of the character he's trying to portray. He's fun to watch, whether he's melodramatically staring off into middle distance, scampering around onstage or awkwardly attempting to kiss the (forgettable) female lead while touching as little of her face as he can. H was right, the music was great (does anyone not like at least one Prince song?). The acting was awful. The filming was alright. The script was...wretched. Morris Day was an absolute pimp.

I like that I'm starting to catch on to homages and sly little jokes that filmmakers are slipping into their movies. Purple Rain was a pretty neat revelation for little old me. Who'd have thought Jay would be a Prince fan, after all?

-17/365 down, 348/365 to go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"H" doesn't love Prince, she lived Prince. I was exposed to, and damaged by so much Prince that I am permanently scarred. My body convulses and shakes when I am subjected to Raspberry Beret.

K.T